It seems to be a fairly new way of hiking - well to me it is - and Im super keen to give it a go. If any of you wish to join me, then please let me know - it should be great fun.
This is how it works:
- You get given a map of an area (distance varying between 3 - 7km's depending on which route you / your family / your team choose to follow).
- Departure from the starting point takes place in intervals (so that everyone is not on top of each other)
- You (or your team) carry an emit card to track your ETA of each location on the map.
- The aim is to get this route covered in as fast as possible time - with only points on the map as a form of guidance.
The PENINSULA ORIENTEERING CLUB
presents the fourth
COLOUR CODED EVENT
of 2009 which will take place at
Sunday, 19 July 2009
Take the N2 over Sir Lowry’s Pass and continue on till Peregrine Farm Stall opposite the second Grabouw turn off. Turn right onto the Viljoenshoop road and continue for 5km. Turn left onto the Highlands road (which eventually becomes an untarred road) and continue for 12km up onto the mountain plateau to the start just before the small wooden church and the start of the farm land. The route will be marked with the Orienteering direction boards from the Viljoenshoop turn off.
Start times 10:45 – 12:30
Courses close 14:30
Orange: approx. 3 km, physically and technically easy, pin punching
Red: approx. 5 km, runners’ course, technically easy, pin punching
Light Green: approx. 3,6 km, technically/physically moderate, EMIT
Green: approx. 4.2 km, technically more difficult, EMIT punching
Blue: approx. 7km, technically and physically difficult, EMIT punching
Multi-colour, scale 1:10 000. Pre-marked.
Individual: R40 (R60)
Juniors <21 y R20 (R30)
Group R50 (R70)
Extra map R10
Emit Hire R10 for those not owning card
EMIT card purchase - R300 per card
The Peninsula Orienterings Club
Alvin Ward 083 703 2284 (See Alvin's blog post here)
Roland Croxford 083 703 3442
PLANNING and CONTROLLING:
Alvin Ward and Roland Croxford
YOUNG ORIENTEERS CHALLENGE:
This is a YOC event, so young orienteers are particularly invited to come along and collect a stamp towards a certificate and a badge. :)
1. No dogs allowed (MTO regulations)
2. Please park off the road as much as possible.
Sounds like a ton of fun to me! Hope to see you there :)